Saturday, August 1, 2009

New York...NEW YORK!!! Johnny's trip

john and charlie

So I think most people have heard that my little 6 year old Johnny went to NY this summer to visit his cousin Charlie. They live right in Manhattan. John said he wanted to go in the Fall so Eddie told him that was great and all he had to do was earn $300 to go. Sheesh, he was only 5. So he decided to have a yard sale inspired by Eddie's brother Steven. John called family and friends and asked them if they had anything to donate. Not easy for him to do. Everyone really came through. We had tons of stuff. He helped me organize and clean it all and he earned enough money to go! I was a little shocked actually.

So Auntie Lydia who is 17 and goes there every summer, flew out with him. John was perfect on the plane. He just sat there and looked out the window. He wasn't scared or nervous or anything. John stayed there for just over 3 weeks. A bit long for a 6 year old you say? Maybe. Did John have a hard time or miss us? No. Seriously. He barely thought about us. And when we skyped with him, we mostly talked to Charlie because John was too busy playing. Eddie went out there to pick him up at about 2 1/2 weeks and stayed 5 days. But really John didn't miss us.

He was in very good hands with Iris, Tim, Auntie Lydia and Charlie to show him the ropes on subway

So what did Johnny do while in NY with Charlie?
played with Uncle Tim..

bonded....

played at the park...

bonded... who knows what they are 'discussing'



They dug for worms which I personally think is pretty gross and I'm glad he did this with Iris and not me. I just have to put up with Charlie and John catching lizards.

played with Dad...

bonded with some pretty cute little girls (2 of the cutest cousins you could ask for)

had an indoor campout because the Fathers and Sons got rained out...

and one of the greatest things is Charlie got baptized while his cousin could be there..

rode the ferry and saw The Statue of Liberty of course...

visited the Museum of Natural History several times which is where they found... Charlotte, Dragon and Fireball.

The Boyles' have amazing playful imaginations. These slithering friends were discovered at the Natural History Museum. Charlotte and Dragon got married while Johnny's was there.

went to a ward family picnic...

saw a Cathedral while Eddie was there. He is quite obsessed with them (Eddie that is)


and in general had a FABULOUS time!! Thank you Iris for letting Johnny come and stay with you. What fun memories he made. And even though he didn't want to watch a movie in the afternoon when he got home, which means Joey didn't want too, it was still worth it!!


Is this an extremely long post? Yes, but it's archiving for Johnny's sake... Sheesh. Plus I love it!!

8 comments:

beth said...

oh I love this post! Love it! It isn't too long, I want more. Look how much fun those kids had. Johnny is quite the world traveler!

Iris said...

DEAR TECIA,
IN THE PICTURE OF ME AND JOHNNY ONTHE BRIDGE WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING ANYTHING! We are watching the fish and not talking! Sheesh.

Tecia said...

Wow- well, sorry about that Charlie. Do I have to change that? Are you sure you are remembering correctly? sheesh!

In case some of you others are wondering I just got 'told'(slang) by Charlie... who is 8.

Doreen said...

What an experience! I can't believe he did all of it himself - garage sale, trip, etc. What will he do next?

Tay said...

wow! I am so doing that with our kids - the making them earn their expensive wants thing. And I love that he did it.

When did your kids get so big? I hate this being away nonsense.

Angela* said...

What an awesome time for Johnny! He's such a cutie and good boy. We're having Elli's b-day party on the 22nd.. you guys should try and come up! Escape from 115 degrees to some fabulous 90's!

Unknown said...

I love long posts. Keep them up. How fun for him to go off to New York! Man, I would've missed my Clayton too much for being gone that long, way to go for being strong. What wonderful memories he was able to make!

I am sure you took pictures of your adventures when Tegan was here, I am requesting you put up some posts on those too, promptly! :)

Katie said...

Looks like fun. You all have such beautiful families.